Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Web Browser Optimized for Onshape

Bill_MartinBill_Martin Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
I don't know much about modern browsers and how they support graphics but wonder if it is possible that the future will bring a web browser specifically optimized for Onshape?  I still find myself amazed at the level of performance already and wonder aloud if even higher performance is capable given a fairly up-to-date hardware set-up?

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited April 2018
    @Bill_Martin - We would never say never, but perhaps looking at it this way might give some perspective.
    If there was an 'Onshape Browser';
    You would have to have the permissions to download and install it (negating all the benefits of Onshape on 'any device').
    We would have to slow down feature development to support the development of the browser on multiple platforms.
    As it stands, we test all WebGL compliant browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Safari) against Windows, MacOS and Linux.
    Thats 9 combinations. Adding another browser increases the QA burden by 33% (in addition to having to write the code ourselves).
    So - whats your #1 request? :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @Bill_Martin

Browsers are getting better everyday with respect to performance and graphics. There is a lot of effort being put by the browser vendors to make client code fast, efficient & leverage the GPU to the fullest. We at Onshape do keep track of some of the changes and do our best to take advantage of the latest technologies. This allows us to work on CAD and let browser vendors work on the browser technology.

On the other hand the mobile Onshape Apps are implemented by us and do not involve the browser. If you haven't tried it, please do.
  • Bill_MartinBill_Martin Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Thanks both.  I did not mean to imply this is something important that needs work.  More of a question on how much "potential" there is left from the perspective of the modern browsers that support lots of things other than Onshape and a "stripped down" browser that is really just a dedicated engine for Onshape but using the necessary WebGL framework.  As mentioned, I am still in awe of the seamless nature of Onshape compared to Inventor on the same piece of hardware.  Yes, the mobile app is also mind blowing--so smooth and seamless.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Bill_Martin - I think you're right, there is still plenty of performance that we will realize from the browser over time :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape