Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Larger models loosing graphics definition

Pascoe_DesignPascoe_Design Member Posts: 18 PRO
Hi, 

On larger assemblies the graphics loose definition and appear faceted. Its a real shame as I'm really enjoying making one large assembly of our boat and it will be a real step forward over previous CAD systems I have used. 

I am using 64 bit chrome (Google Chrome is up to date Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit)) 
Windows 10Pro, Intel i7-6700 3.5GHz, 16GB ram, NVIDIA Quadro K2200

Could anybody advise if I could improve it? Are there any settings I need to tweak?

Many thanks,

Stuart

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited February 2018
    Hi Stuart @Pascoe_Design

The graphical quality of Onshape is a constant focus of our development.  To deal with the memory requirements of large assemblies, we often have to scale down the graphical quality to ensure the system is fast and responsive.  If you press the ? > 'Feedback' button from the top right corner of your Assembly, it would be helpful to have your example (and any insights you may have on user options you would like to see).

If it's any assurance, the underlying edges and faces still have their geometric definitions; if you attempt to use mates on these geometries, the mates will follow the underlying (correct) definition rather than the faceted view.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    What are you getting with the performance check?  https://cad.onshape.com/check 

I am looking to upgrade my machine soon and keen to get something which will works well with Onshape, having said that one of the things I love about Onshape is you don't require a dedicated CAD built computer to get half decent performance but if there is anything thing that helps with large assemblies that will be on my must-have list. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Pascoe_DesignPascoe_Design Member Posts: 18 PRO
    Hi Jake & Bruce, 

Thanks for your comments. I look forward to improvements to the graphics. I have found that if you suppress some of the larger sub-assemblies until the graphics improve, then gradually un-suppress them, you can just about get the graphics for the full model to be ok. Hopefully this will improve in the future. 

Regarding CAD machines, I was hoping that the actual machine wouldn't make too much difference. Ideally I want the team in the workshop to be able to view the model (read-only) on any of their older computers. I did the performance check and all seemed ok 325 triangles, 185 lines. Do you know of any settings on my graphics card I could optimise? 

Best regards,

Stuart

• daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO

I am looking to upgrade my machine soon and keen to get something which will works well with Onshape, having said that one of the things I love about Onshape is you don't require a dedicated CAD built computer to get half decent performance but if there is anything thing that helps with large assemblies that will be on my must-have list. 
    Bruce - did you end up upgrading and if so to what?

I do a lot of grain plant models that aren't really complex but become part heavy and always seem to have inconsistent performance, normally when showing a client the model!
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited April 2018
    @daniel_cook

A number of users have posted the results of their performance checks/hardware upgrades on this thread:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5225/performance-test-results/p1
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
    @daniel_cook

A number of users have posted the results of their performance checks/hardware upgrades on this thread:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5225/performance-test-results/p1
    Thanks @Jake_Rosenfeld - I've also posted my performance results on there before and have some pretty good overall calculation results. I think my issues tend to come from more low RAM (8gb) and browser instability on larger models. Something I need to look into more.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO

Bruce - did you end up upgrading and if so to what?

I do a lot of grain plant models that aren't really complex but become part heavy and always seem to have inconsistent performance, normally when showing a client the model!
    Hi Daniel,  I just saw your question. I haven't update yet still got my old machine.

Did you mean grain planters? I have also been working a planter and have struggled with the number of repeated parts and validating the design when moving the machine into the various working positions. Onshape have been looking into these issues form me and improvements have been made but I am looking to more as for this kind of work.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977