Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do you cut a shape into a solid form?

aaron_mooneyaaron_mooney Member Posts: 2
Dear Community - Note I am a newbee!
I have a shape that I have spun from a simple shape. 
I have cut a hole down through the drawing - now I need to cut a shape into the top of the spun shape.
I have drawn the outline on the top plane but can't find a tool to allow me to cut down 3mm

I am used to solidworks where I can define the surface and then add a cut (emboss) - but not on onshape

Next I will be asking about how to cut a M20 thread!!

many thanks

Aaron 

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Welcome.

It's always helpful if you can post a link to the document and a sketch of the result you're after.  From the description above it sounds like you just need a blind extrude, but it can't be that simple, so I assume I'm not understanding the question!

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited April 2018
    Hi @aaron_mooney

Onshape does not have separate tools for additive and subtractive extrusions.  Simply use the 'Extrude' feature with the 'Remove' option selected at the top!

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/extrude.htm

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @aaron_mooney
    and you may want to use 'up to face' with an offset.  there are a lot of options in the extrude command
    www.accuratepattern.com