Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch Region selection based on what's visible?

Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
Is it possible to create an extrude by selecting sketch regions based only on what is visible?  I've created a sketch on a plane, hid everything else, and and trying to now create an extrude from this sketch (which is very simple).  However despite the fact that nothing else in the scene is visible, I have to select all the sketch regions created by existing faces in the scene that share this plane - this is pretty frustrating as there is a lot going on on that face already, and none of it is relevant to the sketch I just made.

Is there any way around this?

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2018
    I agree!

@philip_thomas mentioned a workaround.  If you create a plane on the face of a part and then the sketch on the plane (not the surface) then the implied geometry is ignored.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Owen beat me to it! :)

Also - please vote for the (an) enhancement to sketching to include ‘an option to prevent imprinting’!

:)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @Brian_McVeigh
    Just to make sure : have you tried selecting sketch feature from the feature list? The region analysis corresponding to that selection ignores face edges imprinted on the sketch plane. If it is not the result you want, it might at least get you close so that you only need to select/unselect a small number of regions.