Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Introducing Link tab

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
Have you ever wanted to simply add a tab to Onshape and have it show your Google doc or any other sites you use often?  This was something I have wanted to do for quite some time and finally we can do it now.  

Link Tab is an integrated cloud app that allows you to create tabs in your Onshape documents that contain hyperlinks. This is a great way to use your Onshape document as a gateway to related data and services. For some services, like Google apps and YouTube, will automatically embedded and usable directly within the Onshape Tab. For others, the Onshape Tab provides a convenient way to launch the hyperlink in a separate browser tab.

Check out Link tab in the Onshape Appstore!  Hope this helps a few of you out!  ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    super cool, it almost embedded Mathematica notebook)

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Excellent, that looks very useful, thank you.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited April 2018
    super cool, it almost embedded Mathematica notebook)

So the unfortunate thing is I cannot detect if a page loads... so I have this message post.  Let me know if this message can be worked around.  Surprised me it is there.. Maybe I can slide that message back further.

• shaun_singhshaun_singh OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
    This is great Lou!

If you are looking at doing future updates, then the option to create a new Google Docs or Sheets document from the Tab would be amazing. This would then tick off my need for some sort of notebook to write project specifications etc alongside the designs :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This is awesome, thanks Lou
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, It works very nice with Google Docs
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    BAM!
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lougallo
    i can't achive the result on your screenshot, in some moment even the notebook content appears but in the end - "The following link was prevented from being displayed in this tab".
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @konstantin_shiriazdanovThe same thing happens to me, but you can press the Reset button at the top and add a link
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    This is sweeeeeeet! :) works perfectly with JIRA
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Is there a good way to integrate evernote using this new app? When I share the link from evernote into the Link Tab app, it opens only in a view only presentation mode. I would like to have this note be opened as edit-able from Onshape so we can have a common note space between collaborators.
  • tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
    This is really cool.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    UPDATE: I am getting a number of users who are getting some odd behavior with authentication and saving urls.  I am investigating why this is not consistent for users.
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    @lougallo has this App been taken off of the app store temporarily?  I cannot seem to find it.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Hi @lougallo
    I want to throw my support behind this effort...as a G Suite company, this would be really, really helpful. Thanks for sticking with it!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thank Lou, appreciate the effort going into this.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Some preliminary findings... In order for me to have your auth info saved and reused for the app, I am going to have to require a google account to do this today.  I tried to do this without that requirement but in order for the app to run on your behalf, it needs to know who you are and be able to save that.  I wanted to keep this simple and in the early staged of building it, it was going to be for Google apps only... But the workaround is to just make this require you sign into a google account might be the easy way to keep this out there for use... until maybe we build this into Onshape...
    @lougallo has this App been taken off of the app store temporarily?  I cannot seem to find it.
    Yes I pulled it down until I fix this..  Those of you that already have it and it worked was because you were google account users.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @lougallo
    How would I do this without a google account?
    We can't access them at school :frowning:
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Here is the new flow..

@lougallo
    How would I do this without a google account?
    We can't access them at school :frowning:
    Sorry @m@mbartlett21 that is what I am using for account mgt for this app.  It will be required.  Otherwise I would have had to have my own account mgt and this is more of a way to see how useful this type of tool is.  At some point, we hope to just add this in as a feature of Onshape.
    It works really fine
    Thanks Lou
    Un saludo,

• tsung_ren_hungtsung_ren_hung Member Posts: 9 EDU
    When I use link tab in firefox.
    It show this.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Hello @lougallo
    I'm having a problem with Link Tab, and after reading through this thread I can understand what's going on, but wanted to let you know.
    I have a document with Link Tab added, and a Google Sheets BOM in the tab. I share the document with View access to collaborators. They can't see the Link Tab content (but also can't add the Link Tab app because they only have View access!).

I'd like my instance of Link Tab (with my "anyone with the link" google doc embedded in it) to work for other View only viewers of my Onshape document.

I think the issues you describe above with Google accounts and authentication issues are part of this.

Thanks for working on this; it's going to be amazing.

Will try and give one of the viewers Edit access so they can add Link Tab, and see if that helps.

Thanks
    romeo
  • PK1PK1 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Hi @lougallo 

This is such a great app. I'm now able to view and edit key spec info, change logs, etc that I store in Google docs as well as linking to external specs such as my chosen 3D printers design guidelines, etc.

Very many thanks for making this available.
  • connor_shannon510connor_shannon510 Member Posts: 15 PRO

I had this issue in chrome - was able to sign in using Firefox. Thanks for the cool app!
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Sweeeeeet when I tried with Google Doc and Sheet. Nice to see linked page update and be able to see who's in there.
    Thanks Lou

Next step:
    Link sketch dimensions (or other variables) directly to spread sheet?
  • mårten_keijser740mårten_keijser740 Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Very interesting app. 

One plus on the feature request though: 
    Being able to pull variables from a linked spreadsheet would be super awesome and increase the usefulness of this app significantly. 

• KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have a problem to use Link Tab - The page where the link should be entered doesn't who up.

1. I have added Link Tab subscription
    2. I have added new Link Tab to my Onshape document
    3. I have used my google account to Sign in with Google and autorized Onshape and Link Tab to use my Google account
    4. Then there was page with "Connect your Onshape account. Authorize app"
    5. Then first time I authorized Link Tab

6. and then got that page:

Now everytime I open that tab with Link Tab or want to create new Link Tab I get step 3, automaticly switched to step 4 where I press "Authorize app" and then I get directly step 6 with the error page.

I checked in my Onshape profile that I have there "Link Tab" as connected app.
    I have there also Google drive integration set (That was not requested by Link Tab app, I just added it when tested work around). And in Google disc's settings I see Onshape is Authorized.
    In script.google.com I turned on "Google Apps Script API" (I do not know if it's needed).

It seems that the page which should be shown after 5 has some security policy which prevent its loading.

I have tested it in Firefox and Chrome (in Chrome I do not get error page from point 6. The page is just blank).

What should I do more to get it working?
    Or maybe that's problem at Link Tab apps side? Maybe due to any Google changes?

Br /Krz

• KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    I have tried to make Link Tab working and... I'm partially succesfull.
    To make authorization successfull I had to change Firefox Content blocking to "Custom" instead of "Standard". Then "Authorize App" from point 4 went ok and I've got page where I can enter URL:

After that I can change Firefox Content blockingback to "Standard" and authorization still works ok.

So I input link to Google sheet I use for BOM (Onshape BOM for Google Sheets from @lougallo ) and it linked correctly but ... the linked pages do not display correctly.

The google sheets is embedded but the window height is too small.
    The message in top right corner says: "The current window is too small to properly display this sheet. Consider resizing your browser window or adjusting frozen rows and columns."

The same if I link another URL:

@lougallo Could you please help?

Best regards /Krz