Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

dimensions moving in drawing

Edward_GoodwinEdward_Goodwin Member Posts: 25 PRO
Hi, I'm trying to us Onshape drawings for the first time. I'm experienced using SW drawings. I have an issue which I'm a bit confused about: 

I've dimensioned various features for a PCB from a datum-point specified to me by the PCB layout engineer I'm working with. All fine so far. However, when I move the view in the drawing, the dimensions shift to a completely different (and seemingly random) datum-point. The dimensions are still there but now are referenced differently and the dimension value correspondingly changes.

What am I doing wrong? 

Comments

• Options
    It has shifted, actually, to the centre of the PCB where the model origin is. Hmmm. Should I insert / move the origin to the datum-point required? Is it not possible simply to dimension off a different point/line other than the origin? Surely it is!
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

Sorry for the dumb question but do you mean "drawings" as in 2D technical drawing with pretty title block generated from a finished part, or "sketch" as in geometry created in a part studio that leads to a feature?

If the later then I suspect you have unconstrained (blue) geometry that is not moving together as you drag something.  (Use the fix constraint on your datum if so).  If the former then if you can post a link to a public doc I'm sure someone will help out.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    I mean a 2-d technical drawing from which I need to create DXF file to send to a colleague rather than a sketch within a part. I can't, sadly post a public doc as it's confidential... Annoying as it is...

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Understood.

Sorry but I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to talk about real drawings.  Who's up next?

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @Edward_12

Please contact our support team by pressing the "Feedback" button under the "?" menu in your drawing.  They will be able to determine whether what you're seeing is expected behavior or a bug.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Definitely log feedback, that behavior doesn't sound right. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977