Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mesh to solid.

Firenze187Firenze187 Member Posts: 4
I have a part that I wish to boolean to another part that I uploaded to onshape.  However, this part is a mesh, and therefore they cannot be booleaned together.  I think this would make a great tool to add to onshape, so as to be able to do cut-outs of complicated parts created by other people on other cadd programs, or just for those simply using it for fun.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Firenze187 - there are other products that do this type of thing - MeshMixer will allow you to perform boolean operations with faceted data types.
    The reason you don't find STL -> bRep capabilities, is that the end result is a body with (potentially) millions of edges. If you think that a typical casting may have (of the order of) 200 edges, you can begin to see the type of performance problems you may have.
    There are some softwares that will approximate surfaces through stl or point cloud data - the gold standard here is Geomagic Raindrop, but its a bit pricey ($36,000 to be exact).

You are far better off designing your parts as bRep (solid) models.

I hope this helps. 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape