Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

This is cool

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited May 2018 in Product Feedback
At least for a Monday afternoon.

I had a URI for a brochure and wanted a copy in my design document.

So I selected import and added the URI to the document in the File name:

Windows didn't blowup and OS uploaded the file, didn't have to download a local copy.

Simply Amazing!
Tagged:

Comments

• florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    The File name line seems to be a windows thing. It does not work on Linux with the Nautilus file popup in Chrome. Although: It would be great if it worked :)
  • tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    This would be great for things like importing solid model files directly from the supplier website into onshape instead of a two-step process of downloading the file locally then uploading it to onshape.  That always bothered me.  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    yes that is cool, I will have to try it!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited May 2018
    I tried doing this on my Mac and the sky darkened up, wind started blowing and the temperature dropped. What started out as a nice day suddenly turned into a bad day.

Macs can't do this. 

This is a very sad day for me, I'll probably stick with a Mac, but it's now tainted.

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes, I tried and could get it to work, is this related to mac OS.

Maybe Onshape should add Upload from a link,  drag and drop would also be very nice.. 

Problem with McMaster parts for this is their website doesn't have links but a drop-down menu to select for download. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It's funny to me because OS users are now wanting servers to talk to servers. Downloading local a local copy and then uploading to a server is now an un-acceptable practice.

I suppose we should just be linking to that address hoping they never change the address for the information we're wanting. In this case there's only one source for the truth. I think this would be the ultimate cloud.

Maybe in my life time.