Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

why can't I update the context and what does"Context assembly primary instance is not set." mean?

ruwo_n_aruwo_n_a Member Posts: 9
so I followed my usual workflow. I created a new part studio in context, used some references in that context to design a new part, I imported that part into the first assembly and constrained it to the assembly using joints. the issue now is that I changed another part studio, what affected some of the references in the assembly that i based the part of off. normally I would just update the assembly, but it doesn't let me do it for some reason. it says: " Context assembly primary instance is not set. Finish inserting part or set primary instance of context before updating the assembly context." since I already finished finished inserting the part, I wanted to set the primary instance. I looked through all the documentation, but I can't make sense of it at all. any help is appreciated, here is the link to the file: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f4076b884bd69adfaafe9807/w/d82547b7b2d3e1309b28d8dc/e/8ed62bedbf1c3e3190e7a674

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @ruwo_n_a!

When creating a new part studo in context, there is a button at the top of the page to "insert and go to assembly".  If instead of using this, you manually insert your parts, the system will not know to associate that inserted part in the assembly to the part you built in the part studio:

If you have already manually inserted your part into the assembly, you can follow the instructions under "Set Primary instance" on this help page:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/in-context.htm

It will probably be useful to read that section of the help page no matter what, since it does a better job that I can of what the Primary Instance is!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team