Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Holes in assembly

Mathieu_GuilmetteMathieu_Guilmette Member Posts: 12
I have a bolted assembly to do, and I was wondering if there was a feature that allows you to do holes in assembly (through multiple parts). It would save me time, because I won’t have to go to each part studio to do the hole or is the edit in context the fastest way to go in OnShape right now?
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    If the parts do not belong to the same Part Studio then in-context is your only option
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Mathieu_Guilmette - Neil is of course right, In-context is probably the best method here.
    That said, there are a couple of other approaches.
    The traditional way to do this is an assembly feature that would blow the holes through all the parts (and optionally push the features down to the part level). Onshape offers a couple of alternatives
    1) Build the parts in the same Part Studio - IF you know in advance that these parts are directly related one to another then this makes sense.Once the parts are built (stacked on top of one another), add the holes and have them go through all the parts.
    2) DERIVE each of the plates (from their respective Part Studios) into a new Part Studio and then add the holes. Be careful when using derive - if the part being derived is one of many from another Part Studio, then there will be a lot of un-necessary features being regenerated (performance).

Each of the methods described here (Neil's and these two) have their Pro's and Con's - as a Pro user, i wanted to make sure we took the time to show you all the options.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Mathieu_GuilmetteMathieu_Guilmette Member Posts: 12
    @philip_thomas Thank you I always try to build related pieces in the same parts studio but it has its limitations when if you two different assemblies that need to be put together. I will rely on the “in context” to make my hole patterns. I appreciate your customer service a lot!

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Thank you @Mathieu_Guilmette - please let us know if you have any further questions.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape