Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimensioning Arc Length in Paperspace

Pascoe_DesignPascoe_Design Member Posts: 18 PRO
I am doing a tube bending drawing and I usually dimension the radius, angle & arc length on tube bending drawings.  strucggling to work out how to dimension the arc length of the centreline in paperspace... Can anyone help? 

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Pascoe_Design - Great question!!!!

So there is a document that shows how to so this . . . 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/673f5cf242983544f53711c8/w/4d091d8d8fd2881173d137e7/e/7f37e05e0571eb701a16b94d

But it involves a number of workarounds.
    My ask of you is where these workarounds are 'needed capabilities', please as a Professional user, submit feedback tickets requesting the specific improvements.

Steps:

• In the Part Studio, I created an additional sketch (the additional step is because i wanted dashed lines in the drawing and i cannot sweep along dashed lines).
    • Natively in a Part sketch, i can annotate the arc length (click each end point and then hover over the arc).
    • In the drawing, insert a view of the part.
    • Also in the drawing, insert another view that is just of the sketch. This second view is a work-around - the enhancement request would be the ability to insert multiple things into the same view OR a way to tie the two views together (I just eye-balled it).

• Next - detail the sketch a you normally would (other than the arcs). We do not currently support the dimensioning of arc length - please submit an enhancement request (via the Feedback tool). To detail these, i used a note-with-leader and typed in the arc length (copied from the sketch). There is an 'arc-length' symbol available as part of the annotation drop down so that works.
    I hope this helps you - Philip
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Eduardo, thats neat, but the dim is still manually entered right? (just checking that i am not missing something) :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the dimension is still manually entered exactly as you mentioned before
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Pascoe_DesignPascoe_Design Member Posts: 18 PRO
    Thanks for all of your comments!