Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Formed sheet metal tools

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to start this discussion to see how the Onshape community is representing formed tools in there sheet metal models.

Since the model features of the formed tools needs to transfer to the flat pattern to get a location for manufacturing I have this work around.

I don't need the shape of the formed tools on the flat pattern just the center location (if I am doing dimples) or a laser kerf width cut that I need for louvers (since we create louvers on our press brake). 

The CAM software we use has a criteria for width. If I create a slot width of .0001" The CAM software reads this as a single line. This is good because I can have this geometry read in as a laser kerf width cut or in the case of a cross hair a location center point.

My work around is to put these cuts first then finish the sheet metal model. I then add the 3D feature of the formed tool. This allows me to keep the 3D representation and get the 2D feature I need in the flat pattern.

Hopefully once Onshape has the ability to add these features I won't have to do this work around any more.

Here is my example:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9da6a5d6e4ce2ce60d83ddd5/w/970ad634ad96dad4d69c0622/e/df2eec05c0659f0b4f9e6801

I just wanted to know how other Onshape users are creating these features.

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice workaround Bryan. However, it will be great when Onshape can handle forming tools in sheet metal. I used to have a very nice library of tools built out in the Solidworks Libray which from memory worked very well the factories forming tools for their turret punches. 

The trick here is working out what everyone wants to see on the flat pattern/drawing/dxf to make sure we have a smooth transfer to production. I am sure there are going to be different requirements for different users but hopefully, Onshape will be able to accommodate these. At the moment having a different part of the formed louver shape is not really acceptable for professional CAD. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @brucebartlett
    @bryan_lagrange
    I have just made a forming tool FS: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a752e0db24eb071ebb6f5aa0
    Please try it out and let me know what you think
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @brucebartlett
    @bryan_lagrange
    I have just made a forming tool FS: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a752e0db24eb071ebb6f5aa0
    Please try it out and let me know what you think
    Nice, I'll check it out
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited September 2018
    Lana said this about it (in another thread)

That implementation is very close to what we have in mind, except that we'll have to do some work so that calling sheetMetalEnd will not be necessary and there will be some representation of the formed tool in flat. So if users of this feature build a library of configured forming tools, they will be able to keep using it when native forming feature becomes available.

So, you should be able to use any profiles you made for it with Onshape's feature that they will make
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will check it out @mbartlett21. Thank you for all your work.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign