Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Shortcut Menu (S-Key) mouse position

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

Tiny, tiny niggle.

Just started using a 3DConnexion device (awesome BTW) and have starting using the shortcut menu again (the S-Key) to open a local context sensitive menu.  This is great but it opens with the mouse pointer just outside the top left edge of the menu.  This seems odd for something that is meant to save mouse travel!  I'd prefer it if it opened either with the pointed in the centre of the menu or directly over the top left icon.

Cheers,

Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @owen_sparks I am not sure this needs to be voted on and it seems a very small movement for the directly over the left top icon.. But making it right under the menu is not great for accidental actions being clicked.  What would 15 px shift mean really?  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    While your at if modify all of the context menus in drawings.. they are are 1 menu position too far away

Green dot represents position of mouse when right clicked
    second image is when mouse position is close to bottom edge of screen and menu adjusts upwards.

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi folks.

@john_mcclary good point I concur.

@lougallo I agree it's pretty trivial but to me at least it's one of those things that that the level of irritation is out of proportion to the problem.  A bit like having the handle bars out of alignment on your bike, or the scope out on your rifle.  Half a degree off can drive you bonkers  :)

Take for example creating a new sketch which is top left icon on my quick launch tool bar.  By adding a mouse move we've gone from 2 operations to 3 to create a sketch.  Every. Single. Time.  And for no obvious reason.  (Sorry I don't like the answer of we deliberately move the mouse pointer away from the buttons so you don't accidentally press them.)

Moving ahead if we had a radial menu there would be no need for a click to activate the function.  If we've opened the menu then the next icon we mouse over could/should be activated...

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO

@lougallo I agree it's pretty trivial but to me at least it's one of those things that that the level of irritation is out of proportion to the problem.  A bit like having the handle bars out of alignment on your bike, or the scope out on your rifle.  Half a degree off can drive you bonkers  :)

And we all know what happens when your handle bars are out of alignment...