Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheetmetal

f2018f2018 Member Posts: 6 PRO
Is there any possible way to make forms or bulges for sheet metal model in Onshape?

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Currently, sheet metal can only do folds and roll forms which caters for most forms you can do in a standard sheet metal shop. You can not use forming tools (used in turret punches) or add any kind of organic shape? 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    If you model it up as a solid part, you could try using exact flat in the app store to give you a flat pattern.
  • f2018f2018 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    edited June 2018

@john_mcclary
    Thanks John. Modelling solid parts doesn't work. It fails to generate organic shapes.
    @brucebartlett
    Thanks Bruce.Unfortunately what  I need was to add some organic shapes  :neutral:
    What do you mean by organic?
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    f2018 said:

@john_mcclary
    Thanks John. Modelling solid parts doesn't work. It fails to generate organic shapes.
    I think what John is meaning is model it using the normal tools you have in Onshape, not sheetmetal and then export that to the partner app exact flat which will flatten non-uniform forms. 

Another option for your model if it is a hybrid of normal sheet metal with organic form on certain faces is creating as sheet metal then use the finish sheet metal command and add features after here but they will not appear on the flat pattern. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    @john_mcclary
    By organic shapes I mean body with curvatures and spline, actually I stole that word from Bruce :wink: . But I didn't take your comment in right meaning. After Bruce's explanation I got to realise my mistake. 
    I will try Exact flat app and notify you back

edited June 2018
    @brucebartlett thank you so much and I really appreciate you for the time you spend for explaining the matter. 

Actually I was about to try your second method of  designing the feature after finish sheet metal command.
     Ofcourse I cannot get flat pattern for the features added after finish sheet metal command.
    But what I planed was to use feature script 'Flat without redundant edges' which was a failure. So now the only option is  'Exact flat' :smile:
    All flatten without redundant edges is for is to remove the bend lines from a flat pattern (see Image 1). This helps when exporting to CAM software like mastercam. Because mastercam will stop and ask for a path direction at every "fork in the road" where more than 2 lines meet in a profile (see image 2).
    Basically it reduces the amount of clicking for a CAM programmer, from which I hear nothing but endless whining where I work :)

Image 1:

Image 2

@john_mcclary I got you. :smile: Thank you so much for detailed explanation :smiley: