Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

two materials

I want to change materials in the part. Can I make a part from two materials? Or does it require two parts in an assemble? I have a printer that will print from two filaments. I do not know how to draw the part so that the printer will accept the two materials. The printer has a sample program that switches materials with different colors but I can not see the code.The printer is a XYZ 2. 
Tagged:

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @alan_brunsman706 - i am familiar with the U3 - it too can print in 2 materials.
    That printer requires 2 stl files - one for each material.
    So now we know we need 2 stl files - one from each of two parts.
    You have several options.

• Build both parts separately in the same part studio. 
    • Build a single part and then use 'split' (or various other techniques) to split it into 2 parts.
    • Build each part separately in its own part studio.

When exporting as stl from a single part studio: either export them individually, OR, export the entire part studio and select the option to 'save in separate files'

That should get you going :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • alan_brunsman706alan_brunsman706 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Won't that print two separate parts. I want the final piece to be one structure made of two materials. Much like you get when you print with the dissolvable material. Maybe the question should be asked of the printer mfg. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @alan_brunsman706

@philip_thomas speaks the truth.  (T-shirt forthcoming, it's generally worth listening to what he says... )

Just because it's two files doesn't mean they don't touch each other.  If they touch and they're made from melted plastic they fuse into one solid seamless part.  This is indeed how multi-material print slicers tend to work  :)

Happy printing.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Here is a part printed on a U3 from two different STL files :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Was your beard produced via the same method?  o:)

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Ha ha - I never noticed that! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape