Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Dimensioning Springs

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I have created a 3D model of a simple helical compression spring and I cannot figure out how to a dimension a drawing documenting its overall (Free/Compressed) length and OD/ID if I have to dimension to silhouette curves.

The dimensioning tool in OS Drafting does not like silhouette curves which is understandable, but there is no way to add center/alignment lines to silhouette curves to allow dimensioning.

Comments

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    StephenG said:
    I have created a 3D model of a simple helical compression spring and I cannot figure out how to a dimension a drawing documenting its overall (Free/Compressed) length and OD/ID if I have to dimension to silhouette curves.

The dimensioning tool in OS Drafting does not like silhouette curves which is understandable, but there is no way to add center/alignment lines to silhouette curves to allow dimensioning.
    Create a sketch, showing the overall length, then in the drawing, update, then right click on the view and choose show sketches. Choose the sketch you just created, then dimension to it
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    @mbartlett21 your suggestion is a clever work around. I added additional construction curves representing the OD/ID/Height envelope of the spring to the wire profile sketch and made the sketch visible in the drawing view, then created the dimensions to the construction curves. I found that I needed to use variables to coordinate the sketch and helix curve heights. Thanks.