Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New to Onshape, Not to CAD...

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

Hey Onshape forum!

Proud to mention that I'm finally at a new company who utilizes SW, but I'm in charge of transitioning the design team to Onshape as we move forward. I should also mention that I'm a 20+ year SW user (Cough... former SW employee... cough)  I know I'm a bit late to the party/forum, but just using Onshape this week has been great and made using CAD fun again.

I'm really digging not needing to save, Versioning, Branching and the automatic file management going on behind the scenes to mention a just a few. Did I mention no install and can use anywhere!?  ;) Anyways, nothing new to most of you already here, but it's amazing what I'm sure I'll be taking for granted soon; the exception being constantly thinking I need to save after all the time(that's been hard-wired in over the years and this thought process will take a bit to break - I admit, it just feels weird still).

Most importantly, I really like the philosophy of the "Part Studio" and then creating the assembly with any potential moving parts and instances. Last but not least, the "Fixing" one component and "Grouping" of components that do not move with no need to apply mates to define the position. This approach (as discussed in the links below) has been what I would typically "try" to replicate much more manually in SW not just for ease of design (Multibody/Master model part mode), but for performance reasons later with larger assemblies.This workflow within Onshape makes perfect sense to me for many win-win reasons for the user and what's going on under-the-hood sorta speak.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9644/group-question#latest

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9623/planes-in-assembly#latest

Anyways, I just would like to say what a great job the team at Onshape's doing and very much look forward to seeing the many "teased" improvements coming and being a participating member of the forum.

Comments

• robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO

...but it's amazing what I'm sure I'll be taking for granted soon; the exception being constantly thinking I need to save after all the time(that's been hard-wired in over the years and this thought process will take a bit to break - I admit, it just feels weird still).

I went through that as well. When I first switched to Onshape after years of SW, I kept catching myself hitting Ctrl-S after every couple of edits. Took a bit of time to get over that.

Welcome to Onshape, I know I really enjoy using it for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Also, there is far less cursing and swearing going on in our office since we made the switch. :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2018
    Welcome.

Just wait until you use Onshape for a while longer.  Saving will seem silly and if you're anything like me you'll end up just closing other applications when your done with then. This can be embarrassing  o:)

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Hey @Don_Van_Zile great to hear from you! Welcome to Modern CAD  ;)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see that people with a strong background in the prevouos generations of CADs are open to the modern concepts
    (instead of arguing "why it doesn't works like in autocad" :D ). Welcome
  • elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    Hey @Don_Van_Zile! Long time no hear. And yea, what Neil said :)
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    Hey @Don_Van_Zile welcome aboard. Perhaps when people hit Ctrl-S we should pop up a window and say "no need to save in Modern CAD" :-)
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and from some very familiar people who are genuinely really good and passionate at what they do.  :)  That's also the "not to be taken for granted", under-the-hood engine that powers Onshape. Awsome stuff!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Welcome @Don_Van_Zile
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    Thanks, John_Mcclary - Love the original FF1 white mage avatar!
  • radharadha Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Welcome! @Don_Van_Zile