Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Beam sections

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
I'm sure this will cover previous ground but I've been struggling to use this for months.  I use a LOT of square and rectangular tubing sourced from Totten Tube in my designs so it's important to me.  (It would be great if Beams used the Totten Tube on-line catalog for standard sections.)

I looked up the specifications for square and rectangular steel tube.  The Steel Tube Institute says: "The corner radius of Hollow Structural Sections (HSS) is not something that can be manipulated to order, and is part of the existing manufacturing paradigm of numerous HSS producers in North America. The typical outside corner radius of North American HSS is 2T, where T is the wall thickness of the as-produced HSS, to the standard ASTM A500-10."  ASTM A500-10 merely says that the corner radius can't exceed 3x the wall thickness.  I think the Beam Profile Generator should have outside corner radius of 2X for thin wall and 3T for thicker wall sections.

So, armed with this information, I tried to create some HSS tubes using Beam Profile Generator but I couldn't get it to work with a sketched cross section nor with a part face.  In frustration, I tried sheet metal.  I found if I sketch a 1.5" square then extrude it using .120" as the thickness and a corner radius of .240, I get a perfect 1.5" Sq. x .120 wall section - very easy.  (Of course, sheet metal throws a snit because the shape can't be unfolded.)  It strikes me that sheet metal could be used as the perfect way to create sections for Beams using the ASTM specs if Beams could import sections created using sheet metal.
Tagged:

Comments