Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Attach Text to BOM Balloon

S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
There are instances where a note is needed for a part (i.e. a quantity callout or a special instruction needed at the time of assembly). If a note could be added to the BOM balloon, it would eliminate the need to add a separate note (with leader). This would help keep the drawing clean and easy to read.
Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Steve_Regula
    You can do this.
    When you insert your balloon, you can set whatever you want to display on the balloon
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    But when you attach lengthy text, the number does not stay within the balloon.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @Steve_Regula You can define the balloon border size in the dialog as well.  We default to 2 Characters because we suspect most will want Item Number as their default property and it's reasonable that a majority of BOM's have more than 9 items but less than 100.

In your case you might want to select a Tight fit condition on the border size, OR... just pick the option for none on the border shape.  

And by all means add as much text to the callout as you like.  There are prefix, suffix, fields above and fields below the center field.  

Once you have changed the style of your callout, we will remember the last state of the dialog for each new time you use the tool within that drawing.  
  • S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    @PeteYodis I figured out the resizing of the balloon border, but I was entering my text in the middle box. I missed the prefix/suffix fields. Thanks!
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Is it only me who need to create the balloon, then accept, then edit it to change the text in it? I can't edit the content directly on creation.
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Is it only me who need to create the balloon, then accept, then edit it to change the text in it? I can't edit the content directly on creation.
    @EricGauthier

Edit the content before you click to place it
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • bradley_costabradley_costa Member Posts: 6 PRO
    How can I 1) disable the leader for a balloon, and 2) insert a balloon in-line with text within notes and tables (e.g. when i want to use a triangle balloon with a number to indicate there is a note associated with something on a drawing, and then show the numbered triangle in a numbered list of notes on that drawing).
    @bradley_costa We don't support callouts/balloons without a leader just yet - but it's in the plans.  We also have flag notes in the plans as well.  You can create improvements or find an existing one and up vote it here:  https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-voting
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @mbartlett21
    @EricGauthier
    I am having trouble getting Callout Balloons to show Custom Properties for different configurations of a part on a drawing sheet. The process for successfully getting custom properties to show (and not the little red dashes) is hard to understand...and, I think, inconsistent. Unless the rules for how to use Balloons are much more complex than I realize.

Has anyone had luck with using Balloons for different configurations on a drawing? Anything like "you can't have balloons with links to more than one configuration on a drawing" or something?

Thanks!

@mbartlett21
    @EricGauthier
    I am having trouble getting Callout Balloons to show Custom Properties for different configurations of a part on a drawing sheet. The process for successfully getting custom properties to show (and not the little red dashes) is hard to understand...and, I think, inconsistent. Unless the rules for how to use Balloons are much more complex than I realize.

Has anyone had luck with using Balloons for different configurations on a drawing? Anything like "you can't have balloons with links to more than one configuration on a drawing" or something?

Thanks!

@romeo_graham392
    Make sure the balloon is attached to an edge, not a face
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @mbartlett21
    That doesn't seem to help in my case. I feel like there's either something wrong with my drawing / part, or I'm trying to do something that OS is limiting or unable to do for now.
  • mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi @romeo_graham392,

Can you give a little more detail on what you are seeing or post a link to your document please? In the image below I have a trivial case of two different configurations of the same part on the same drawing, and I have attached a balloon containing the custom property 'Custom String'.

I believe @romeo_graham329 's issue is that there were no defined properties for that configuration in the table back in the part studio.  
    My issue, I think, stems from the fact that the different configurations cause 2 different parts to be in the Part studio - not really configurations of the SAME part...and this gives me trouble. I'm not sure how OS deals with the fundamental differences when a "Part" becomes a different part (some Boolean operations for instance).  Therefore, I can't really set custom properties for both parts because the custom properties table (in the part studio) is missing its Part reference....

Will see if I can post more specifics sometime soon.

Romeo

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @romeo_graham392

Please notice that In Boolean Union and Intersection operations the identity of the first selected body survives.
    If this does not help, please contact support via "?" menu and share your document with support. We'll try to help you.