Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cartesian coordinates

théo_intertekthéo_intertek Member Posts: 7
Hello,

Is there any way to define a reference zero point to use cartesian coordinates in the drawing ? 
I tried to create a sketch in my part studio and show it in the drawing, but i can't manage to indicate the coordinates of each point

Thank you

Comments

• théo_intertekthéo_intertek Member Posts: 7
    Hello, I managed to do it by creating little circles on the sketch, as I saw on an other discussion. Though I am not really satisfied with my drawing and could use some advices. 
    I thought CNC would be the easiest way to manufacture this part, but I find this drawing "too much"
    If someone has any advices, I would be glad to hear them :smiley:
    Thank you

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi,

Providing you have in-house control I'd say if it's for CNC then you only need a step file or at worst a couple of dxf files, no need to add dimension detail to everything as the CNC will already know the dimensions from the file. 

If it's an out of house process then some shops are stuck at the "must have paper, and then recreate the model from scratch for no apparent reason" stage :|

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Thank you for your fast answer :smile:
    It is in deed an out of house process and I guess that's why I am a little lost. In my previous internship, I worked in-house with a kind of old CNC machine where we needed to enter all coordinates manually. And for complex pieces we worked with a machinist who just needed some dxf files.
    Now I'm an intern in an other company that does not have any machines, and I am the only one to have any knowledge in design so I don't have anyone to rely on these problems 

I guess I should just ask the machinist we will be working with what he needs to use CNC :neutral:
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I'd be just giving some general reference dimensions for scale reference and showing anything that needs a tight tolerance, taped hole, etc and just providing a dxf file for the profile.  RMB on the face and export to dxf. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    It's always a good idea to ask the machinist what he/she needs to make your part.  If you do supply just a STEP or IGES file, make sure to give them the overall height/width/thickness of the part to avoid Imperial/metric issues.
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    The above are correct, I have always sent a drawing with any specific critical dimensions called out that will effect the part performance in addition to a .step file or a .dxf.  There are two schools of thought on drawings, one is to specify every dimension such that the part could be recreated from the drawing only (I hope and believe this is being phased out).  The second is to only specify dimensions critical to the performance of the part and their respective tolerances in addition to reference dimensions for overall size.  Then let the solid model sent along with the drawing be used to drive the CAM software.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Same goes for laser/waterjet/plasma style dimensioning. I only show stock size, hole diameters, bend angles, bend line centers. Everything is traced with CAM software so they just need a couple of dims to make sure their machine is cutting at the proper scale, or the material hasn't moved between the beginning and end of the cut process.
    Thank you all for your answers. I asked the machinist I will be working with and that is exactly what he told me ! He just asked me a drawing with the overall dimensions of the part and any specific dimensions that are important. Then he need a dxf file to manufacture the part.

The lost student that I am is really thankfull for all of you guys :smiley:
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Cool, glad you're all sorted out. :)

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd