Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Slider Mate direction of travel

ben_hedgesben_hedges Member Posts: 2

Hi all I effectively have a square tube and mandrel that fits in side it I want to make the mandrel be able to slide up and down the tube.  I am using a slider mate as this is what was used in the tutorial video.  No matter what faces I select it insists on making the movement through the wall of the tube not up and down.  Is there away of either setting the direction of movement or what am I doing wrong.

many thanks in advance

Coop

Comments

• noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Hi Coop,

The Slider mate allows translation along the z axis of the mate connector (i.e. the little blue line). Onshape tries to place mate connectors where it thinks makes sense. However, you will sometimes need mate connectors in very specific positions and orientations to get the motion you desire.

Luckily, you can place a mate connector wherever you want in the part studio of the part, and then use it in an assembly. 

Here I clicked the mate connector feature and stuck it on a sketch point.

Now, I can check "Move" and rotate it about its axis so that the blue line points in my direction of travel (along the slot).

I made a pin and did the same thing and brought them into an assembly.

Notice now how there are two custom mate connectors, with both their blue z axes pointing along the slot. Now when I add a Slider mate between them, I will get linear travel between them.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • ben_hedgesben_hedges Member Posts: 2

wow thank you for such a detailed response greatly appreciated

many thanks

Coop

• malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    BTW you can create these (custom) mate connector in assembly also before creating mate and select in mate. 
  • johan_van_der_werfjohan_van_der_werf Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I have a bended slot of an expansion link where a part should move through. Can anyone give me a tip to solve this. I used the tangent mate before and it worked. However I cannot do it again.

Thanx,
    Johan
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @johan_van_der_werf
    Try using revolute mate
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • johan_van_der_werfjohan_van_der_werf Member Posts: 4
    @johan_van_der_werf
    Try using revolute mate
    That would be ok if I could find the center of the bend of the slot. I cannot find this center and click on it. Is there a solution for?
    Johan