Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Automatically set drawing configurations to current part configuration

MaruMaru OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO
I think it would be helpful to be able to set a drawing to whatever is the currently selected configuration in the reference part.  I'm creating a configuration for bicycles and each tube is it's own configured item so it would be helpful to know that a drawing matches whatever part configuration I'm currently looking at.  Otherwise every time a drawing is referenced I need to double check the configuration settings to make sure they match for each tube and it's likely something will be missed when I move to fabrication.

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    It sounds like what you really need is assembly configurations. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lougallo said:
    It sounds like what you really need is assembly configurations. 
    Can you elaborate?  I don't really need to model moving parts for this, so configuring this as an assembly sounds like extra work.  A multi-part body is working fine and is pretty convenient/representative since the frame is all welded tubing representing one part in the final product, I'd just like to create a default drawing that always matches whatever that part's configuration is currently set to/viewed.  I would assume assembly configurations would have the same problem since ideally drawings could reference different configured assemblies?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Maru

A workaround you could use for now is to create a Part Studio with one "Derived" feature which derives your configured part into that studio.  Then, update the configuration in the derived studio and the drawing will also tell you that it needs an update.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

Thanks Jake, although this could be useful in certain situations and maybe I'll be able to utilize this for some other drawings.  In this case I will still need to make some adjustments in the main part, and so it becomes a matter of updating configuration settings to match in the drawing vs. the derived part.