Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What's The Best Way To 'Use' Then Modify That Sketch Entity?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
Missing something simple here. I think the whole idea behind the 'use' command is that the new sketch will 'use' the lines etc. of the original sketch being used, and be locked to that original sketch via the 'use' command.

I seem to be in a bad habit of where I want a new sketch to follow exactly the shape of another sketch which 'use' seems to work great for but after drawing that new sketch I then want to alter it but the 'use' constraint prevents that, so I have to delete all the 'use' constraints then alter the new sketch.

Is there another more efficient approach I could be using?

Working up a video example and will post shortly.

Best Answers

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I think using 'use' for anything other than its intended purpose is not smart intent and just a bit lazy. To achieve what I want which, in a simple example is to create a hole with a plug and have the plug be slightly smaller than the hole. I am sometimes tempted to 'use' the original hole for the plug sketch then modify the sketch but I can see that anything less than carefully measuring both the hole and the plug will never be very efficient.

So please ignore this question...doh

Answers

Answer ✓
    I think using 'use' for anything other than its intended purpose is not smart intent and just a bit lazy. To achieve what I want which, in a simple example is to create a hole with a plug and have the plug be slightly smaller than the hole. I am sometimes tempted to 'use' the original hole for the plug sketch then modify the sketch but I can see that anything less than carefully measuring both the hole and the plug will never be very efficient.

So please ignore this question...doh
    @larry_hawes

A good workflow here may be to "Use" the desired geometry as construction geometry and then create new non-construction entities that reference the construction entities:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-construction.htm
    Interesting - didn't think of that. Will try that on a case by case basis. Very helpful.
    NeilCooke said:
    @larry_hawes I often use edges from other sketches or model edges then delete the endpoint constraint so I can extend or trim the line. Is this what you are trying to do?
    Basically yes but sometimes need to delete a 'bunch' of 'use' constraints and it is quite awkward.
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    In many cases instead of using the 'Use' command, I will create regular sketch geometry and constrain them to other sketches or geometry. It depends on the use case, but I find this workflow to offer new opportunities that the 'Use' command may not offer. Or that it simply will be quicker or easier to modify when there are downstream changes to the the model.

i.e. I draw a circle and make a concentric constraint to an existing hole and set dimension between the circle edges to oversize the hole +1/32. Could be done with the use command, but it adds a step and leaves construction geometry that I dont see benefiting anything.

Like I said, depends on the use case. I still use plenty of 'Use' commands
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    @larry_hawes I often use edges from other sketches or model edges then delete the endpoint constraint so I can extend or trim the line. Is this what you are trying to do?
    Basically yes but sometimes need to delete a 'bunch' of 'use' constraints and it is quite awkward.
    @larry_hawes
    Try using Extend (Keyboard shortcut: X)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Also copy and paste can be used to kill all the use constraints in one hit.

OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd