Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't do pack-and-go, how to import SW assembly?

Maciej_2Maciej_2 Member Posts: 2
How to import SW assembly if I don't have a SW seat, and pack-and-go function?

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Interesting situation. I would like to say: export to parasolid or step but if you only have a bunch of sw asm -files and Onshape is the only cad available then you probably need to ask some translate help. I'm sure there are plenty of user to help you who have sw installed (I'm Geomagic user).

But still Onshape can help you, create a document > import your sw files (remember that bare asm doesn't work without parts) > share your document with sw user > he/she will translate your files to parasolid/step/pack&go > upload back to same document - done. 
    //rami
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Heh, I came to forums to check how to import sw files when there is no pack&go or sw available and found my own answer.

But it seems that you can 'pack&go' files manually by simply adding them to zip and naming the zip file after main assembly. At least worked for me.
    //rami
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @3dcad yes you are right. That method works perfectly fine for SolidWorks, Creo, Inventor etc. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI