Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fillets and Chamfers (Combined Feature)

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

To whom it may concern @Onshape Development,

I'm curious since the Extrude feature contains a Multi-Tool/Function approach why that same philosophy of "Feature Interchangeability" wasn't used for Fillet's and Chamfer's? I would think it would've been nice to simply switch to/from a fillet definition to chamfer and vice versa maintaining the Edge/Face ID's for downstream feature items potentially.

Was any thought given to this and abandoned or...?

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I agree, this is pretty much the same thing. Solidworks added the ability to change between either an update or 2 ago. It would be nice addition for Onshape as well, also freeing up a button.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    The option to change the type of a mate was added a while back, I'd love to see this flexibility added here.

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @Don_Van_Zile
    Put it up for voting as improvement request.
    For me this would be consistent approach as it's like changing to different router blade on cnc but run the same path. 

+1 :+1:
    //rami
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    By the way, I'm not sure if @Onshape pushes notice to anyone? Can you confirm this @lougallo

I think that should push some general notice to selected Onshape employees..
    //rami
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    3dcad said:
    @Don_Van_Zile
    Put it up for voting as improvement request.
    For me this would be consistent approach as it's like changing to different router blade on cnc but run the same path. 

+1 :+1:
    Done!

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9951/part-studio-fillets-and-chamfers-combined-feature-for-interchangeability-between-the-two/p1?new=1
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Vote cast.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd

I will be releasing details designed for low volume machining and contain chamfers. However, in the future, we may make high-volume and change the manufacturing requirement to castings and have to require a lot of filleting etc... It would be unique to be able to switch back and forth in these simplistic scenarios without blowing up downstream features like we do today.

Again, it would be awesome in Modern Cad not to have to worry about Future manufacturing methods making the designer cringe having to make the necessary CAD changes.  
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    It should be very simple to write a custom combined fillet/chamfer feature -- perhaps that would address the need?
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    It should be very simple to write a custom combined fillet/chamfer feature -- perhaps that would address the need?
    A custom feature script if possible would be great and I'm sure would be popular. Where to start...?   :)
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU