Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3D Annotations and/or Assembly Notes?

daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
I am not sure of the exact terminology - but does anyone have a solution (either in or out of Onshape) for doing notes on 3D Assemblies? As in I want to send someone a quick PDF that has notes without having to do a full layout drawing. I've attached an example of what I mean. I know in a drawing I can do it but only seem to be able to do true Isometric? Where as I am looking at something a bit more freeform.

This was done in a trial of PDF Annotator software which is okay - and might be my end solution unless someone has a better idea?

Comments

• Options
    Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    edited September 2018

Dare I say SW Composer is relatively really nice, but was never a cost effective solution; which was too bad...So development has been very limited/dead.  :/
    https://youtu.be/lNP-mSMwPug 

SW 2019 "might" contain the more freeform markups that you're after to possbily check out - who knows. 

Then there's Bluebeam Revu which is far more sophisticated than "just need a 2D/3D markup tool for my CAD data" and caters more to Autodesk.  :/
    https://www.bluebeam.com/getting-started/

It would be great if Onshape developed this need with there cloud infrastructure or 3rd party add-on to be sure. One can hope!

Very nice 2D markup though!
  • Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    I would like to see comments in a document have the same and potentially more markup capability like the feedback button. To be able to highlight, draw, show dimensions, etc... On the model would be a great way to store notes and communicate. To be able to export that type of note as a PDF or raster image would extend that communication capability.
  • Options
    Pravin_PathePravin_Pathe Member Posts: 3
    Onshape share and collaboration allow you to tag and make a markup image while commenting on the document. So you really don't have to rely on PDF(which you might save on a local drive and not with an actual model for reference). These markups can be used to assign certain tasks and can be recorded in the history of document progress so you know why the changes had been made.