Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly interference checker

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
edited September 2016 in Product Feedback
I 've  just got in trouble for making a change and not considering all configurations and ranges of motion, hence it brings me here because I'd love to see an assembly interference checker in Onshape to help stop these drama's. With the stability of the Onshape mates and the ease at which you can create limits I think this could be done while cycling parts/sub assemblies through their degrees of freedom. 

I'd love to hear if other require the same similar tool, there may already be a feature request.
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• Options
    jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    @brucebartlett, you can count me in on that request!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @brucebartlett
    I agree, but I would like to set certain parts into inspection and then run the check within motion limits. My problem is that nails do interfere with wood and that's ok =)  Or maybe exclude certain parts by their nature, this would need some checkbox into part description.
    //rami
  • Options
    emerson_botteroemerson_bottero Member, Developers Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    In solidworks we have to ignore all interferences from nuts in sheet metal or design the bolts with a smaller diameter. 5.2 for M6 for example. Is the same problem @3dcad has with nails.
  • Options
    john_kuyperjohn_kuyper Member Posts: 29 EDU
    I would love to see an interference checker as well.  It would be cool if you had an option to check all degrees of freedom.  This option would cause OnShape to check the current position, then move one constraint to a limit, check again, move another constraint, check again, and so on...
    It would be even more powerful to take tolerances into account.  Not only would parts be moved, but the parts would be changed to their maximum / minimum dimensions and checked for interferences.  Of course, this would require tolerances on all OnShape model dimensions.  It would probably take a lot of time as well - but that is part of the beauty of cloud computing...

I have always thought it would be cool to have a special type of solid that would be automatically excluded from interference checks.  This special solid would be applied to threads, nails, rivets, etc...  It could even be handled specially in a drawing (shown as a dashed line, for instance).
  • Options
    ISPTUSAISPTUSA Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Not sure if this request has progressed or not.  Just reading through people's comments I see that there are a lot of add on requests to go with the interference checker.  Can we please just be asking for a regular no frills assembly interference checker for now?  I just want something simple that works and the options can come later.  If you want to check the part in different states then I would expect you'd get what you need using suppression or making adjustments to your motion mates.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    If you guys are interested, I wrote a "Find Overlaps" Custom feature a while ago:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ef9d7bf5c04de6c159e6fb0/w/50103cbdb65f20d04d6f68f1/e/90d38986c85bcf0f32574062

You can use this by pressing the + in that document to add the custom feature to your toolbar.

The workflow here would be to make a new part studio in context or your assembly, use the feature, uncheck "use entire part studio" and then select all the ghosted in-context parts.  If you also check "keep overlaps as new parts", you will get a nice view that looks like this once you commit your feature, showing where the overlaps occurred:

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    That's nifty :+1:
    Is this a glimpse into the future  ;)
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited September 2018
    Whatever solution we come up with will be a lot more seamless than this :sweat_smile:

This is just a workaround I coddled together a few months ago.  I expect that the performance won't be very good on large assemblies, in fact the regeneration time will grow quadratically in the number of selected parts.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team