Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

View document dependencies.

jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Using Onshape
I have a project with many Part Studios and I tried to delete some of the older Parts, only to find 10 minutes later that I'd deleted a part used as a Derived part.  I couldn't find any way to un-delete Parts but fortunately I had a backup.

Is there a way to view dependencies or which parts have no derived parts in them?

Comments

• Options
    Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

I was just wondering about "Where Used" references type of functionality similar to other systems as @jrs_spedley mentions myself.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    "Where Used" is definitely on our radar.

@jrs_spedley Onshape keeps a record of every operation taken on a Document in the history manager:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/docmanagement.htm

If you click the history button in your document, you can restore any point in history by right clicking on it (in this case, the point you want is the point before deleting the tabs in question)

When using Onshape, it should not be necessary to keep external backups.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    suppress first vs. delete.

suppress will cause the same dependency action as delete, but, you can bring them back easily.

Also, you never lose anything in OS, restore can come in handy. 

To be honest, I'd version the design, then branch the version, then do all the delete stuff. If successful, I'd merge it back into main. This workflow is working well for me. It's a lot like GIT and the workflow is very similar but you have to perform the steps. It's not automatic.

• Options
    jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Thanks for all your swift replies.  It would appear that I am using onshape in the wrong way so I'll have to dig into it and adjust my ways of working.

I am designing a roof for an house extension and trying to keep it simple but incorporate certain features.  It helps to be able to 'test' design ideas without altering the main drawing, often duplicating the design into several concurrent ideas where I can compare between them.  As you can tell this can become messy but for short term development offers good flexibility.
  • Options
    nathan_dnathan_d Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2018
    To compare different configurations of the same design, try using the configuration panel:

https://www.onshape.com/videos/introducing-onshape-configurations

It will take some discipline to follow good parametric modeling practices, but if you do your finished design will be highly configurable.

Also take advantage of using variables!