Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Export DXF with Custom Layers

Some CAM programs require specifically named DXF layers to derive their processes. In plasma CAM nesting software, different layers are required for the cutting, scribing, punching, etc. The ability to change the default layer from "VISIBLE" to something user specified would greatly accelerate post processing DXF files in certain CAM software.

I propose adding the following options to the DXF export flyout:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @lynn_lee227 Listing more than one does what exactly?  I can see being able to provide a layer name for one layer but multiple is a bit harder to map I think?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Luke_EdwardsLuke_Edwards Member Posts: 10 PRO
    @lynn_lee227 - Totally agree. There are not enough layering options to properly support these types of processes. There is a lot of work to be done. I'm trying to customise my template so far I cannot see an option to create my own layers to provide colour to certain parts of the template... Does anyone have a solution? 

• Options
    nathan_dronberger732nathan_dronberger732 Member Posts: 2
    How would I go about exporting the DXF/DWG so that the content is on layer 0?  By default, layer 0 is blank and the drawing details are on a layer titled "visible" which will not work in ProNest.