Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Imported Models

PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
We work in industrial automation and would like to start using Onshape instead of SW.  However, OS doesn't seem to handle importing parts that well.  We have to import a lot of models that are provided by other manufacturers whose parts we integrate.  In many cases these STEP files, for example, are imported with thousands of surfaces and/or parts.  I would love it if there were a way for these to be simplify these into one solid since that is often all that is needed. 

The other thing for this industry is that it is a bit cumbersome going back and forth between a part studio and an assembly.  In many cases, we insert an air cylinder, for example, into an assembly and mate it as needed.  We then need to transfer mounting holes to a frame we created.  There is no way to do this in OS without going back and also inserting the cylinder into the part studio and doing it there.  

This type of workflow for this sort of application seems a bit disjointed.  Perhaps I'm going about things in the wrong manner.  Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    For the STEP files that come in as multiple parts, they would likely come into Solidworks as multiple bodies as well (The feature tree would shows 'Body 1', 'Body 2', etc.). The difference is that SW still treats those multiple bodies as essentially a single part, but Onshape treats them as individual independent parts. A lot of the time you can select all the parts in Onshape and do a Boolean Union to join them together. The only issue I've had with that is with something like a ball bearing because it sees it as a zero thickness where the ball touches the track.

On the STEP files that come in with surfaces, that is likely due to how they were exported by the program that originally made them. I would try to import them into SW and check them there. SW will usually let you know if there are problems with the part (bad edges, missing faces, etc.) and can sometimes fix them. If SW can fix them, then you could export them back out of SW and bring them into Onshape.

• keith_risebroughkeith_risebrough Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Sorry to dig up an old thread.
    I was just curious if there is a known good method on how to approach the issue of imports with high numbers of 'surfaces'.
    On most of the items I import I do not want to update any of the features, for example on this connector below.
    Ideally (wish list) I would like to just work with this item as a single solid, but anything to simpl

• Object_MageObject_Mage Member Posts: 13 EDU
    PD said:
    We work in industrial automation and would like to start using Onshape instead of SW.  However, OS doesn't seem to handle importing parts that well.  We have to import a lot of models that are provided by other manufacturers whose parts we integrate.  In many cases these STEP files, for example, are imported with thousands of surfaces and/or parts.  I would love it if there were a way for these to be simplify these into one solid since that is often all that is needed. 

The other thing for this industry is that it is a bit cumbersome going back and forth between a part studio and an assembly.  In many cases, we insert an air cylinder, for example, into an assembly and mate it as needed.  We then need to transfer mounting holes to a frame we created.  There is no way to do this in OS without going back and also inserting the cylinder into the part studio and doing it there.  

This type of workflow for this sort of application seems a bit disjointed.  Perhaps I'm going about things in the wrong manner.  Any suggestions would be great.
    I'm having the same problem uploading PCB STEP files from Altium
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @kai_gull

Try our PCB Fixer custom feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9a9b81d17d4b69e58ad9b0b0/v/c253688ad8add5efd222a709/e/3152191074466a8b45231663

To add this feature to your toolbar, just follow that link and then click the '+ Custom features' button at the top of the page.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Object_MageObject_Mage Member Posts: 13 EDU
    PD said:
    In many cases these STEP files, for example, are imported with thousands of surfaces and/or parts.  I would love it if there were a way for these to be simplify these into one solid since that is often all that is needed. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I was talking to a creo driving colleague about this recently due to the high number of vendor models that contain errors.  We're convinced they're deliberately sabotaged before upload so they offer a visual representation only and not easily copy friendly models...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • andreas_ravnandreas_ravn Member Posts: 1
    @kai_gull

Try our PCB Fixer custom feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9a9b81d17d4b69e58ad9b0b0/v/c253688ad8add5efd222a709/e/3152191074466a8b45231663

To add this feature to your toolbar, just follow that link and then click the '+ Custom features' button at the top of the page.
    Thumbs up for PCB Fix. I wish this could be used on other imported STEPs with several solids that needs to be simplified into one chunk.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @andreas_ravn - have you tried creating a composite part?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI