Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Latch Keeper - Trying to add a tab on a corner of a flange. Any suggestions?

AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
This is a post that I am trying to add a latch keeper into it. A door with a latch should catch on this tab.

I cant seem to create a TAB so I used a flange instead but only bent it 1 degree. 
I tried to add this feature on the flat without luck.   

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited September 2018
    You mean something like this?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/a77feda45ef426d49746af73

I did an extrude cut to create the notch.
    Then in the flat pattern I added a sketch and extruded it .01" all around

Further testing shows you may need to extend your first extrude cut to be slightly beyond the bend radius in order for the flat pattern to allow you to extrude add

• AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    That part is not difficult, creating a tab or extruding it out is what I can't seem to do.  Now thinking of creating a sketch on it and extruding it but it creates a new part instead. 
    Yes, you can only extrude add inside the flat pattern.

otherwise you cannot boolean add anything to active sheet-metal, unless you use the "tab" feature
    I've updated the part to have the tab added using "tab" feature this time as well

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/a77feda45ef426d49746af73

If I create a new part the tab feature works fine. Just like the example you gave me.
    Thank you.
    Looks like there is an issue with my drawing for some reason, I redraw it and its fine.  
    Can you create a version of the bad one and post a link?

I'd like to look at it
    Found it... The tab can only be created from the same face where I extruded an opening.
    The top one does not work, the bottom one does when it is on the same surface.   

There may be something more to it.

I just made a new sketch and it tab extruded on the top surface too

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @AuroraRon
    It sounds like you've resolved the issue. If you are still seeing a wrong behavior please file an issue via Feedback mechanism (under "?" menu).
    Looks like a work around, I will send feedback on it so Onshape can have a look.   It does not do this on a new part.  

Quick reply from Onshape Support....  Told cutting into a bend line can be finicky and they are working on it.  Make the cut depth "up to vertex" and it works.  Just wanted to update in case anyone else comes across this issue.   Issue resolved. :-)