Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hole depth

D8_StarpacD8_Starpac Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
In a C beam I need a hole on one side, if I give through hole mean the opposite side also get cut. So the end of the hole have to determine by upto face and can’t change angle of drilling tool tip.
Tagged:

Comments

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Post a link to your document here, if it's not proprietary - that will make a lot easier for the community here to help you.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    In a C beam I need a hole on one side, if I give through hole mean the opposite side also get cut. So the end of the hole have to determine by upto face and can’t change angle of drilling tool tip.
    Vote for the improvement request to allow holes to be made "up to face" instead of just blind or thru.
  • D8_StarpacD8_Starpac Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Vote for the improvement request to allow holes to be made "up to face" instead of just blind or thru.
    This what I want

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c205e7b9ac950f2b8b4a76ea/w/f9932a2e2cbcf3071f40762c/e/ed1573ec57007e31d484f47b

I want a second hole not like first one 

• lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    edited September 2018
    Until "up to face" holes get implemented, is there a reason simply setting the hole to a blind hole a few mm deeper than the C-channel thickness wouldn't work?

If the channel thickness might vary significantly you could use a variable to set both the thickness and hole depth so they update together.

I'm not sure what you mean by adjusting the drill point angle--even though setting a "blind" hole type requires a drill point angle, since you're actually drilling through the first side, the point angle shouldn't matter.

Edit: for reference, the IR that @brian_brady referred to is here.

Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University