Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Reuse a sketch/part/assembly by copying it into a new Document or make a template

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
I would like to export a sketch with base geometry into a new document.
I tried saving "Export to dxf" in the original and imported in the new document. But the drawing in the new document was completely empty...
I also tried to find a way to create a template based on the sketch, but I didn't understand how to do that. It seems to me template is bound to drawings?

What would be the best practice to copy/export a geometry in a sketch or part or assembly to be used in other documents?

Thx for help

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I beleve there are a lot of opportunities here. Non associative, but fully ediatble: you can duplicate the whole document using it as template for a new project, duplicate particular tab inside the doc, or copy and paste tab from one doc to another. Associative but not fully editable approaches - use derive feature to add a copy of the body or a sketch from one part studio to another.