Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

SHEET METAL FAIL

michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
I’m trying to create a part to then convert into a single, flattened sheet metal pattern:  a polygon with vertical, triangular ears, and 3 bent tabs on each of the long open sides. I selected thicken since I couldn’t convert or extrude.

Try as I might, I cannot get the sheet metal tool to include my 6 tabs. The side triangles form bends to the main polygon, and show up in the flat pattern as a single part, but the 6 tabs remain as separate parts.

I've watched all the tutorials / videos. Before I used the sheet metal tool, I extruded all the parts, minimally, because otherwise the sheet metal tool would not allow me to select edges to bend.  Could this be part of the problem?

I then tried to create the tabs using the flange tool, and then extrude / remove to trim back, but I was not successful in creating the tabs, as shown.  

Can anyone help me out here?  I'm 6 hours in and going nowhere . . . here's a link to my file: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/59eb2b7a41c24370a6b7a430/w/22319e6983cde957321a771b/e/bd684f6922cd179a4c0059e8

Thanks!

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Sheet Metal WIN! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
    Thanks John, I went over my sketches and made sure all were lines black; I guess I was being a little sloppy!  I couldn't figure out how to use  @mbartlett21's Shaped flange feature. Is that feature script?  I haven't learned what that is or how to use yet.

I did try your suggestion of cutting the relief cuts first, which worked well for me.  I ended up using the flange tool to make the 6 small flanges as well as the side, triangular pieces, after thickening the base polygon with the sheet metal tool.

As for the sheet metal tool, it seems as though it's not possible to either create a flattened shape with sides that are not 90º or with sides that are not rectangular.  Not sure which. But, I was able to make thepiece with flanges . . .

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/59eb2b7a41c24370a6b7a430/w/22319e6983cde957321a771b/e/3d61ba56bdd0162093cc4fd0

Thanks again John, and Philip!

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited October 2018
    @michael_mcewen

To use the custom feature above, you can click on the provided link; at the top of the page that loads you should see a button that says "+ custom features".  If you press that button, a tool will be added at the very end of your toolbar so that in your own part studio, you can use the custom feature like any other feature in Onshape! No need to learn any coding or new concepts.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Hey Jake,  Oh, OK, not so hard as it looks!  I will do it.  Thanks for explaining!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea, like Jake said, just click the

then copy the link I posted earlier and paste it here

then click the shaped flange feature

then it should appear on your custom feature list

To use his feature just select the edge of the sheetmetal part the face will attach, then select a face to add as a flange.
    You can use a sketch instead of a face too, so no need to extrude your "fake" tab first.

Keep note, you will need to be thinking about how the metal will deform when adding flanges. Most of the time the relief cuts will appear automatically, but whenever you have a non-perpendicular edge you will need to add your relief manually, or stop just short of your bend radius.
    example: 

guess I shoulda waited a few more seconds, before posting this long message lol
    Very cool John.  This is super useful. Thanks for taking the time.
    This forum is great.
    This forum is great.
    We try  ;)
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @michael_mcewen
    Glad to know the feature is useful!
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Yes, thanks m@mbartlett21 !!