Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Import to different document/folder

Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
edited October 2018 in Data management
I import a lot of parts from my existing Solidworks library into Onshape. The problem I run into is I always end up importing into the document I'm currently in, then I have to move the item out to a new document which ends up in the parent folder of the document I'm in, from there I navigate out to the parent folder, where only then can I move that newly created document to the folder location I actually want it. I know I could open a new tab and navigate to where I want to import this new document to, but it would just be so much easier to select where I want to import the document to from the import dialog in the first place without having to open a new tab or navigate to a different folder.
Example:
I'm working in a document in my Projects folder. I want to import a switch from Solidworks. This switch is used in almost everything so I really want to import the switch into my Library Parts/Electrical Components folder. Because it's so easy just to hit the "+" icon and import that is what I do, but I don't get an option of where that import goes. It just defaults to the document I'm in. Then I have to go through the tedious process of moving it to where I really want it.
Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Cris_Bowers
    I'd also like to be able to move to folder in the document menu (where you can get print, description, etc)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Cris_Bowers The workflow makes sense here but the multi-tab interface is the workflow since the + button is to add to the document which you are in.  You can do some of the scoped imports from that Tab manager today when you are in a document but that is only for importing into the same document.  I thing there would be more here to investigate since I am not sure adding a destination to the import would make sense from the import unless import was a header bar action that would always be accessible.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    @lougallo I think having a header bar icon like the Create button on the home screen carry over to the document wouldn't be a bad way to implement this. But even there, whenever you click the Create button it doesn't give you an option of where to create or import a new document, it defaults to the workspace you are in. I guess what I'm asking for is options after clicking the button instead of deciding the workflow before clicking the button. I could extend this argument to Part Studio workflows also. In Solidworks when you click the Extrude button you have the option of starting a new sketch, picking a face or surface, or using an existing sketch to extrude. I still sometimes find myself trying to execute a command before I ever have a sketch in place to use. For me at least I find the choose a command then pick an option to complete that command a faster workflow than the you have to have something there already, choose a command, choose an option to complete that command workflow.