Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to get the intersection shape of a sketch plane and a solid which is passes through

OmerOmer Member Posts: 5
I need to get the intersection info. Projection is not working for me. I also tried to use coincident tool with a corner in the sketch and a line on the solid but did not manage to get them together. Are these supposed to work for this purpose?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Omer - we aren't currently able to project the intersection of a plane and a surface, but based on your image it looks like you'd be able to use the Pierce constraint to attach the sketch corner to the edge of your solid.  Check out the attached gif and let us know if that helps.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Could you not also use the split command and the plane?  Once the split occurs you would could "USE" the edges for the sketch geometry on the flat face created by the split.
    imagine.create.deliver

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    @Omer - we aren't currently able to project the intersection of a plane and a surface, but based on your image it looks like you'd be able to use the Pierce constraint to attach the sketch corner to the edge of your solid.  Check out the attached gif and let us know if that helps.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Could you not also use the split command and the plane?  Once the split occurs you would could "USE" the edges for the sketch geometry on the flat face created by the split.
    imagine.create.deliver
  • Options
    @CycloneWade - yes, absolutely, you'd just have to Boolean the two parts back together after.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    Or copy the body and dump it afterward ;)
    imagine.create.deliver
  • Options
    OmerOmer Member Posts: 5
    Hey, thank you both. Appreciated your help. Loved the both options. 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's eye-opening how much can be done with a relatively small number of powerful fundamental features (like the 'proper' boolean ability embedded in Onshape, not just in the command which goes by that name, but in extrudes, revolves and other ops.)

I think it does us no harm to spend some time in an environment which, while superficially impoverished, is actually a lot richer than it looks ... richer, that is, provided we dig a bit deeper into the innate reserves of resourcefulness which modern life, and convenience/consumption culture, are doing their best to breed out of us.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    It's eye-opening how much can be done with a relatively small number of powerful fundamental features (like the 'proper' boolean ability embedded in Onshape, not just in the command which goes by that name, but in extrudes, revolves and other ops.)

I think it does us no harm to spend some time in an environment which, while superficially impoverished, is actually a lot richer than it looks ... richer, that is, provided we dig a bit deeper into the innate reserves of resourcefulness which modern life, and convenience/consumption culture, are doing their best to breed out of us.
    It can take some creativity in creating something, but there is usually a way.  I remember when we first implemented splines and sweep I decided to make a DNA strand/double helix despite having no way to make 3D curves or helices at the time.  Dimensioned ~50 points in the x and y axis to create a side profile of a helix then made a surface out of that to split a cylinder which gave me edges that lined up in the path of a helix.  Was long and arduous, but it was possible.

I encourage all of our users to be creative with our tools and figure out shortcuts in their workflows.  Just because we designed a feature with certain workflows in mind doesn't mean we didn't miss any possibilities.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭