Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Interference detection in an assembly

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you can use the section view to see interference in assemblies in Onshape but is there a more automated way of checking interference similar to what Solid Edge has? The interference check is done by selecting the command and then selecting parts you want to check. If there is an interference it shows where and if not gives a message of no interference detected. You can have the option of turning the interference volumes into surfaces which aids in trimming and moving geometry around it to eliminate the interference. 

What is a good practice to efficiently do this currently in Onshape? Are there plans to add a more automated interference detection on the road map?

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• ISPTUSAISPTUSA Member Posts: 10 PRO
    This part: "You can have the option of turning the interference volumes into surfaces which aids in trimming and moving geometry around it to eliminate the interference." would be really nice but I'd be OK without it in leui of getting everything else you're asking for above in a timely manner.  Not having this just cost my company some engineering dollars..
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Sounds like a must have feature.  Did the same thing. 
  • dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
    I agree - accidental interference seems to be a recurring theme with designers, and finding out in prototype stage hurts. This would be a great feature. 
  • InventorByNightInventorByNight Member Posts: 4 EDU
    I agree. I coach a high school robotics team and we're switching from SolidWorks to OnShape this year. I'm worried that not having interference detection will really bite us.
    Since interference shows up in the section view, it seems like OnShape already has a way of detecting it, it's just not directly accessible to us.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    See also this thread -- a custom feature workaround: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/45646/#Comment_45646
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • md_al_mamun316md_al_mamun316 Member Posts: 13 EDU
    Is there an API endpoint where the interence can be checked for given two parts?