Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sheetmetal troubles

Florian_SchneiderFlorian_Schneider Member Posts: 6 PRO
Hello

I d like to have those depressions in the sheet metal. How does this work? https://cad.onshape.com/documents/025b094105b1d1c8396de763/w/b257960963f4c0affae63d3f/e/627436208ab9e34c8a8d2a1c

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    edited October 2018
    before you finish sheet metal model, you can create a sketch on the flat pattern to represent the top view.
    in order to make it parametric you will need to define the notches with variables, and this draw in again as you have shown in your second screen shot.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/912335f271f8c51525c09933

to show sketch on flat pattern in drawing

to export the sketch to dxf use this option

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Partial depth features in sheet metal would be very much appreciated so that we don't have to go through this extra process of drawing separate sketches on the flat pattern for features that appear on the finished model. Just another place to make a mistake
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    I agree, I hate redundant features.
    But the same sketch we create in the flat pattern area could be used for the finished SM features if it were visible in the modeling area. Maybe that would be more likely for Onshape to change.
    Then it would be fully parametric without partial extrudes in SM.
  • Florian_SchneiderFlorian_Schneider Member Posts: 6 PRO
    so this is all onshape has to give to sheetmetal users?
    Does not quite satisfy me...
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 692
    @Florian_Schneider Please let us know the missing sheet metal functionality you need the most and vote for existing improvement requests or create new ones. We continue developing sheet metal functionality and use improvement request vote count to help us prioritize the projects.