Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Redundant surfaces in STL file

alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Using Onshape
I decided to 3D print my design in onshape, so I downloaded it as STL and sent it to several local 3D printing providers.
Those who answered pointing out that my STL file was "broken" since it contained several surfaces with 0 thickness.

I don't see those surfaces in my design in onshape so I am not sure why they got into the STL files
(STEP format contained them as well, verified).

It is not clear if those extra surfaces affect 3D printing, but they are definitely confusing.
I was even asked why I am not using the "normal" CAD :-)

They finally figured it out how to remove them, so I got it printed succesffully.
Any ideas how to export the design into STL file with no redundant surfaces?

Thanks
Alexander
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you share your Onshape document?  I've never had a problem creating printable STL files with Onshape and if you share your document myself or another user can check the part to see if we can figure out what is wrong.