Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Place two gears into an assembly and rotate them against each other

Hi,

I made 2 gears and I want to rotate them in an assembly.  I do not need to attach them to anything, just put one beside the other and rotate them.

But.

When I try to place a revolute mate connector on one, I am told i need 2 mate connectors.

I do not have a place for the second mate connector.

I just want to spin them against each other.  I suppose I would need mate connectors.  Apparently this only works on the z axis.

How do I do that?
thanks!

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2018
    I would just model a base plate that has 2 holes in it, then mate to the holes

Once you have that. Will you also need a hand with the gear relation, or do you have that figured out already?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWfAXqQMkEY
  • AnotherOnshapeUserAnotherOnshapeUser Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Got it.  It cannot work in the air, it needs a base plate.  thx so much, i figured out the gear relation
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Any time, and welcome to the forums!
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited November 2018
    You can probably also do it by creating two Mate Connectors (select the Assembly Origin for both) and use the Move option (in the Mate Connector create dialog) to put the two MC's where you want them. Then create your two Revolute mates between your gears and each Mate Connectors.

No need for the extra plate part.