Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Time Log for Documents

RT_AXIOMRT_AXIOM Member Posts: 18 PRO
Would be nice for Onshape to keep track of the amount of time spent working on a document.  Especially if you are a design contractor with multiple projects on the go.  Sometimes I could flip between several projects during a day, and do that for 5-7 days a week.  It makes giving an accurate invoice to my customers challenging.  I do my best to try and track my time from project to project but it basically comes down to a rounded guess at the end when it comes time for billing and invoicing.

With the branching and versioning and "unlimited undos", Onshape already keeps track of all your moves and edits, so why not just keep a running tally of time spent on the total project/document.  This could be as simple as an hours:minutes tally in the branching and versioning history tree.  Or possibly right on the main document page.  If you highlight a document in your list it gives you some basic details on the right-hand side of the screen like date started and last modified.  Could be a good spot for a "total hours worked on" counter?

This could also get a little bit tricky if you have a larger document where you have more than one project within a document.  Or maybe parts of the document are billed out seperately.  Could create a version in the document if you knew you needed to keep track of changes/revisions to a completed project you have already billed for?  

These are just a couple of ways of doing it, there's probably a better ay and it needs a lot more thought. 

Or maybe no one else has this problem...

Just wondering if anyone else has different methods of keeping track of design time for their projects?
Tagged:

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    It would be easiest to just have one project per document (this would also help with organization and best practices) and then use the versions and history to see the time stamps to bill. You could always use versions to "clock in" and out of the document for billable time
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Stefan_DMSStefan_DMS Member Posts: 48 PRO
    If you can get enterprise Onshape there is a complete analytics section for all the recording and managing of documents. 
    https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/introducing-onshape-enterprise
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @bradley_sauln
    Is there a way to "minimize" the history at the top, as once you get past ~500 items, it slows down drastically
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ryan_thivierge

I made a punch clock on google sheets to capture time for a job that travels throught the fab shop. Basically you click on the button for the process you are performing then click "in" and it will record the time and date you punched in to the job. When done click on the button for the process and then  click "out" and it will record the time and date you punched out of the job.

Use the link tab app from the app store to attach it to the onshape document you are using to capture time.

You could modify for just CAD operation and you can link this google sheet to an onshape document.

Just a work around I use. You will probably need to make copies for different projects and then restrict the sharing so you just modify it.

Here is the link to the google sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KxXXKMHEX12DPtbIRJjEK-15-MvyG02zRa0TJnhqfHI/edit#gid=0

Hope this helps

punch clock on google sheets

click "CAD" then "In" to record start time

click "CAD" then "out" to record stop time

use link tab to attach to Onshape document

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign