Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

List part numbers in search results

tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
I started playing around with part number generation when I decided to see what part numbers had already been assigned somewhere and realized I couldn't figure out which parts already had numbers and which numbers have been used already. 

It would be great if I could:
  1. See a list of part numbers that have been assigned for my company, OR
  2. See part numbers displayed in search results (I think this would work because I think I can make a search just return all parts that I have).
I've tried searching the forum and was not able to find a solution. I did see this related request - maybe one of these solutions would fulfill that request as well:
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/40035#Comment_40035

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Another thought to add to this: 

I understand the database structure of Onshape uses specific identifiers behind the scenes to be able to link all of the parts/assemblies/documents together in a smart way. Therefore, the names of parts, part studios, assemblies, and drawings DO NOT have to be unique, and there are few restrictions on naming. This is all fine when working inside of Onshape. 

The problem, however, arises when I need to uniquely identify a part, assembly, or drawing in a system outside of Onshape, such as purchasing or manufacturing systems. The standard method for identifying these things is the Part Number, but Onshape part numbers are buried in the part meta data and the only way to find or verify a part number is to look at individual assemblies or drill down into part properties. From this perspective, it seems having a simple way to view which part numbers are assigned (at a company level?) and as well as names/descriptions for each part number would be a great way to make sure everything is correct. 

I think displaying part numbers (and possibly other user-selected properties) in search results would be a big step in the right direction. 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @tim_hess427 I have read your request here and I understand that this is something you want to see in some list view.  We have had a few requests but do not have a way to simply say "Show me all things where part number is NOT null (nothing)" . In our search we will be adding things like boolean operators and ways for you to ask for everything where part number is not empty. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @lougallo Looking forward to it!  That would definitely be a step in the right direction. 

Being able to actually see what the part numbers are in the search results would make that much more useful. I've been trying to put part numbers in my part names, but it would be huge (if only for peace of mind) to have visibility of the properties that are actually driving things (like part numbers and revisions) without having to look in an assembly BOM or dig into part properties one at a time. 
  • svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 63 PRO
    Question?
    Boolean part with an  assigned a part number.
    Global search does not find the part.
    A composite part number will recognized.
    Do I have bad luck.or?

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Question?
    Boolean part with an  assigned a part number.
    Global search does not find the part.
    A composite part number will recognized.
    Do I have bad luck.or?

Not quite sure what you are asking but note that if you use boolean the order you select the parts matter: the result will have the properties of the first part you select.