Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Probably A VERY Basic Question

WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭

I've been through most (but not all) of the tutorial and I'm trying to draw my part as I go, but now I'm stuck. I'm trying to draw a square rounded bowl with handles. I've got the  bowl how I want it, and that's the handle there in grey (needs work to round the edges). So how do I pick that handle up off the ground and glue it to the upper edge of the bowl??? I'm missing something really basic here.

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited November 2018
    You need to use the 'Fastened' mate and choose two mate connectors to glue together. Mate connectors appear when hovering on parts with mating selected.

You could also model the handle directly onto bowl in part studio and then use 'Group' mate to glue it in assembly.

Hope this helps.
    //rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I'm glad you got it figured out.

some friendly advice, if you draw a part in a "part studio" out of position (on the ground). you will need to use a "transform" to move it.
    Otherwise you should always draw a part in it's final position in the part studio.

It is hard to tell from your screenshot if you were in a part studio or assembly.
    In the future your best bet is to give us a link to your document, it can clear up a lot of the  guess answers and let us get right to the point. :smile:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist

Also be specific with your title, We don't judge you on how smart the question is, "Probably a very basic question" may not help someone else with the same question when they are searching the forum.

There are a lot of people here just waiting to bend over backwards to help answer your questions.

Welcome to Onshape and the Forum!
  • WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Here's a link to my bowl (I think):
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b9791ea66f9420d5ac4b2fb1/w/32a1bfaffc4736f8f8aad3f1/e/9c1a01984479d5075d82353c

John, I appreciate your comments and advice. I'm not too clear on what you meant about out of position. I expect I'll know by the time I finish the rest of the tutorials and gain more experience. Also... I have no idea if I'm in the part studio or assembly. I think those topics may have been covered at 3AM. I plan to go back through the entire tutorials once I'm done.
    Right after I clicked Post I realized what you meant. In my case, out of position was where I drew the handles on the top plane, where it should have been in its final position on the plane that I created at the top of the bowl. Is my thinking correct?

edited November 2018
    a part studio is where you make your parts with sketches and features.

as assembly is where you combine (assemble) multiple parts

I was half way through typing out the explanation but looks like you got it now :)
    Yes, you got it. final position is where you created the plane.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @Wingsy welcome.

Good point on the naming of the thread @john_mcclary
    Forum posts are all about getting quick help for the poster but they also serve as an online help repository for the next person facing a similar problem.

Cheers Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I agree on the name. Usually I try to be descriptive in a forum title but let it slip this time. I don't see a way to change it now... is there?

Yea, it's permanent :)
    not a big deal, just sayin, I don't wanna sound like a forum snob  o:)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Forum is all about helping each other and having fun while doing it. There's no strict rules or editing posts to form perfect question and there's no answers like 'Use search!!!!!!!!!!' or so.. We all understand that everything is new in the beginning and it can be hard to search if you are not yet familiar with the terms to search with.

And sometimes conversations can turn into Onshape coffee mugs or just general discussion how great this forum is - that should be avoided if thread is created as 'Question' since forum will hunt the op for marking answers  ;)

@john_mcclary What do mean you don't want to sound.. didn't you just request 'Forum police' tag after your name? :D  
    //rami
    Awesome
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Great work :+1:
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd