Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Derived Parts Are Suddenly Coming in as Greyed and Unusable

christopher_graham586christopher_graham586 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
This morning I started using OnShape and find that all derived parts I bring into my part studio are greyed in the feature tree.  I tried importing and deriving three different parts including one I've never used before to ensure no duplication of use and they are all greyed.

Previously derived parts are normal.  Only those derived this morning are greyed.  I made no change to my OnShape settings since yesterday and I'm working in the same part studio of the same workspace.  I tried closing and reopening the OnShape tab in Chrome, but no change.

Does anyone know what could cause this?  It's totally halted work I need to do urgently.
Tagged:

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    This looks like a serious bug -- please file a support ticket and share the document with support if you haven't already -- otherwise, we can't diagnose it.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • christopher_graham586christopher_graham586 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Ok I'll file it.  I wasn't sure if it was a bug or a new feature I didn't understand.
    Well, the problem has solved itself.  I switched back to the main OnShape page listing all workspaces, then returned to the workspace causing problems.  Now the previously greyed derived parts are normal.  It looks like I'll be able to continue work.

Should I still submit it as a bug even though I don't have a workspace for you to look at that shows the problem?
    I should add that not only are previously derived parts normal, but newly imported and derived parts are also normal.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Did you have a "spinner" spinning?  I might be wrong but I thought greyed out was code for not regenerated yet?

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi @christopher_graham586 - it was probably greyed out because your Derived feature is HUGE - it may have still been rebuilding and therefore inaccessible. 

It is not good practice to build so many parts and features in one Part Studio, otherwise, you may have performance problems. Try to only design parts together in a Part Studio that are absolutely reliant on one another. Use assemblies to check if parts fit together and maybe use in-context editing. A good resource is @philip_thomas latest webinar - worth a view: https://www.onshape.com/videos/tips-and-tricks-to-turbocharge-onshape-performance-and-speed-110618

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    I didn't see a spinner and I waited up to about 20 minutes for the derive command to finish. 

Sometimes the wait cursor is hard to see among the parts of a complex model.  In fact just the other day I was wishing the it had a color that was easier to see.  It might be a bit more distracting but it certainly is very important information you need to know.
    I have many parts in a parts studio because everything is tightly inter-related, like a 3D puzzle.  Even derived parts need to be modified based on the shape of other parts.  However I will watch the webinar to see if there's anything I can do differently.

The mysterious thing was that yesterday I was importing derived parts in a fraction of a second and this morning it was taking many minutes.  Then suddenly it's back to being fast again.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited November 2018
    @christopher_graham586

We upgraded everyone's documents yesterday (after pushing the new release), so you may have run into a full rebuild of the Part Studio you were deriving.  After it built once, it may have been cached so that subsequent derives, or a change to that derive feature, were faster.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thanks, that probably explains it.