Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cannot Edit Imported Public Files

WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
So in my very first project with OnShape I need a NEMA17 stepper. I go to the OnShape public warehouse and find a bazillion NEMA17 files, nearly all of which appear to be someone's copy of a 3D printer project. I choose one and select "Make a Copy" so I can edit it. (I need to change the shaft length.) I get quite a few tabs at the bottom, one of which is the NEMA17 drawing. I open it. Under Default Geometry there is "Import1", and under that, nothing. No features or anything just a blank section. So what do I have to do to unlock editing of this imported part?

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it means that in the project you copied the motor wasn't built from the scratch, it was imported from some neutral format file without model history, and now you see "Import" feature. You can edit it using Moove face/Delete face and Split commands to adgjust the shaft
  • WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thanks Kon, I guess that explains it.  I'm also drawing the gear that fits over the shaft so not only do I need to shorten it, I also need to add a flat to it. Probably easiest to shorten the shaft to zero then add my own shaft with a flat back to it.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited November 2018
    @wingsy - be sure to make use of the spur gear feature to save yourself a bit of time (add it to your toolbar using the + symbol at the top of the page): https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5742c8cde4b06c68b362d748/v/16a222adf3cb9a3b33ed9536
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • WingsyWingsy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Neil, does that spur gear apply to a ball chain gear, like this?

The thing that those 2 chain ends attach to isn't another gear, it is the cords for the slats in a set of blinds. I have no real gear ratio to match in my case - I just need push-pull movement (actually I guess it is pull-pull) with a sprocket diameter that matches the motor torque to the resistance of the slat cords.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Sorry no - when you said "gear", I jumped to the wrong conclusion
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI