Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Take a punt - Pre-populate the BOM when idle.

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.
Low priority, nice to have one day.

On occasion I've completed building an assembly and have been sitting twiddling the view of the model around contemplating what to design next, or generally soaking up how awesome my widget looks.  If I then click on the BOM OS wakes up and decides it might be a good idea to build a BOM...
It'd be nice if it used some idle time to pre-populate the BOM on the grounds it might need it later.  Or if we had a preference of "Always build a BOM".

Cheers,
Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @owen_sparks This is one of those things that we evaluate constantly of what can we do to improve performance of something that needs to "see" the entire structure and pull up every property that exists by indexing it some way. This is already part of our evaluation of BOM and other areas of the product.  Thanks for the push but this is something adding votes to is not going to be valuable. We need to do this no matter the votes.  :smile:

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks @lougallo, that's great to hear. Cheers, Owen.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd