Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can you see all history for a document without 100's of clicks?

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
I want to review who did what and when on a document with 39 modeled parts and 2 assemblies. When I right-click on a document from the document list page and select "Versions and  history" I can see about 20 lines plus a "..." for more lines. Each click yields another 20 or so lines. After about 20-30 clicks I can see the history for about one week of a 6 week project. Yikes, I want to do this for 9 similar projects.

Is there a better (i.e. more efficient) way? Can somebody at Onshape pull off the history into a CSV or similar text document and send it to me if there is not a better way for me to get to the information? In order for history to be helpful, it needs to be easier to access than this.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Agreed :+1:
    O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    I like the idea of being able to download a csv of the history. Want to make an IR for it?
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I'd like to see the option to "show more changes" & "show All changes"

then you don't need to expand the list 100 times to create a branch or a version after a long period of time on one version.
    That undo list grows very quickly.

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I like the idea of being able to download a csv of the history. Want to make an IR for it?
    I'm pretty sure I did 12-18 months ago
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    What's the point of csv if you wanna go back to a point in history? Make it a popup page with links are still alive, that's easy to select all and copy-paste anywhere you like.
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    What's the point of csv if you wanna go back to a point in history? Make it a popup page with links are still alive, that's easy to select all and copy-paste anywhere you like.
    Why not both? Live page with a download CSV button. 
    I think the answer to my original question is "you can't, still."
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    For me going back further in time often seems to get slower and slower the further you go. I guess Onshape might be spinning up an old version if you open that version from 2015. For us here in Germany it feels like someone is going to get the floppy disk with the data.

If the same would happen with getting a csv… It's like an ERP transaction that you have to start before lunch.

Regarding the links: The yould just export an link as well in the csv :smile:
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    3dcad said:

Csv is not really the future - neither xml, I would rather see a copy -button.. paste to any text editor or spreadsheet incl. google docs is way faster than saving file, finding file and opening it. But I would use this so rarely that this is just throwing ideas for me.
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    3dcad said:

Csv is not really the future - neither xml, I would rather see a copy -button.. paste to any text editor or spreadsheet incl. google docs is way faster than saving file, finding file and opening it. But I would use this so rarely that this is just throwing ideas for me.
    The great thing about CSV is that it is just text, making it platform and program agnostic. You can throw it in a text editor, Excel, Google Sheets, or even a Python script to sort and filter. Ultimately I want an easy way to filter by part, person, or date.
  • I had the same issue last week, was frustrated click to show more, only to get about 20 linea, I only wanted to go back to previous week. Also noticed that the time stamp disappears after a week. I was checking on time spent but cannot do that any more. 😩