Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tab explorer

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited November 2018 in Using Onshape
I tend to always have tab explorer open and rarely use the one at bottom of screen. While I like it's behavior to select w/o opening tab it causes me problems. For some reason I repeatedly have noticed that when I make a copy of a tab then after a while I find myself editing the original instead of copy that I meant to edit.
Does this often happen to others?

I wanted to ask before putting in any IR to make currently active tab stand out more .. it is possible that it's just me being too concentrated on the model and not paying attention to frames =)

Today this happened to me twice, first when making a copy of existing FS and then editing the original - learned that you need to 'commit' before rolling back in history. And again few minutes later when made a copy of standard part that needed a tweaked version.
It seems that after selecting a copy and renaming that, I'm somehow assuming it's already active and start editing.

I would like to have currently active tab stand out more in explorer, what do you people think?

//rami
Tagged:

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2018
    3dcad said:
    I tend to always have tab explorer open and rarely use the one at bottom of screen. While I like it's behavior to select w/o opening tab it causes me problems. For some reason I repeatedly have noticed that when I make a copy of a tab then after a while I find myself editing the original instead of copy that I meant to edit.
    Does this often happen to others?
    Yea, all the time :(

3dcad said:

I would like to have currently active tab stand out more in explorer, what do you people think? 

Yea, the little blue bar blends in with the black glossy bezel of my monitor at home and at work. Haven't really payed attention when I'm on my wife's matte aluminum macbook (which isn't often). but on a black bezel it's pretty invisible.

Sad thing is I really didn't notice the blue bar until I looked at your screen shot.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I found one more reason why I often edit wrong tab. When you create a new ps, assy, etc. Onshape will take you there automatically. But if you duplicate, you will stay in original.
    //rami
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited November 2018
    I agree - I always find it confusing too. The light blue (but very large) "selected tab" indicator is MUCH easier to see than the little blue bar.

I think moving the Active tab blue bar to the right hand side would be a good start:

. ...and maybe lighten the selected tab blue too.

@NeilCooke
    maybe this should be an IR, huh?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @romeo_graham392 of course - nothing gets done without one. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI