Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly drawing questions

peter_patonpeter_paton Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I have been working my way through various tutorials (complete beginner) and using the attached drawing as an exercise.  So far so good, but I have a question regarding the drawing produced from an assembly.  To my mind the lines between the assembly elements are not required - is there a way to eliminate these so that the part is "seamless"?

I also need to mark up on the drawing areas which will have a coating applied - any suggestions or advice as to how this might be done, and at which stage, would be appreciated. I can do it with a coloured marker on a hard copy but I suspect there may be a way to do it as part of the process. 

Thanks in advance,
Peter 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/51d01ef742e61646e02f422a/w/7bb485bcc00d5916787cabaf/e/96c6ac58f851245e332a1d72

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO
    you can right click the model in the drawing and show shaded view if you want to show color.

you can only have one color per part right now. so this may be an decnt method for now.

otherwise you can sketch a line in the drawing and call it out that way.
  • Options
    Hi John, thanks for the reply.  Shaded view is too general, I need to indicate specific areas rather than the whole assembly.  I wondered about drawing in these areas then shading them, I will experiment.....

Peter 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    @peter_paton - you can create a sketch in your part (would have to add hatching manually in the sketch) then in the drawing, you can right-click the view and show sketch.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks Neil, looking at what I need I think it may be easier to take the completed drawing into a desktop publishing programme and do it that way. Not a big deal, thanks for your help.  

• Options
    jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Bit late to the game but just wanted to say "Thanks" to @NeilCooke for highlighting that you can include sketches. That combined with some mates to position the sketch has greatly simplified my life. So, Thanks.