Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Offset Spline Distance

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I've drawn a spline and I'm creating an offset, but when dragging a bit too far, the offset spline just disappears and that's one of the error messages. 

It acts as if there is some limit it can offset from?

Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Offset too far and the spline will self-intersect
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    NeilCooke said:
    Offset too far and the spline will self-intersect
    ok, but does it self intersect the spline I've drawn here (red pen)?: The reason I ask is because it won't go any further than what's shown in here (blue spline):

Not sure what you mean? The original spline has two convex regions whose curvature is smaller than the value you want to offset by. 
    edited December 2018
    I'm not sure I understand. Because it has convex regions that will end up going into eachother, that's normal for an offset operation, is it not? What if this is a road? Can we not build a road here because we have two convex regions whose curvature is smaller than the value we want to offset by?

Sorry, I meant to say concave. Your image with offsets has no intersecting regions, but if you offset some more, here is where the problem would be:

Splines in a 2D parametric sketch solver are somewhat different than what you can do with a truckload of tarmac :)

I would suggest splitting the spline where the areas of high curvature are, offset them, then manually trim them afterward. That will give you sharp vertices that you can fillet if you want.
    Are you saying we can't do something like this in Onshape?:

Correct - please submit an improvement request to add this capability.